Monday, January 7, 2019

The Daughters of Mars

I very much enjoyed The Daughters of Mars by Tom Keneally which tells a fictional story about two sisters who served as nurses during World War I.  Naomi and Sally Durance are very different personalities.  The story follows them when the War begins and their voyage to Egypt.  There they see the Australian troops before they're deployed to Gallipoli.  Later they're nursing on Lemnos and witness the carnage visited upon those soldiers from Gallipoli.  Eventually, they end up on the Western Front where men are cut down in that terrible conflict.  We learn through their experiences the terrible consequences of the battles we have heard about.  It's a big book for a big story.  I liked the detail the author gives to his descriptions.  I wanted to know what happened to these characters that I had invested in, their dedication and courage in the face of the horror they witnessed. 5/5

No comments: