Wednesday, October 12, 2016

This Sweet Sickness

I very much enjoyed This Sweet Sickness by Patricia Highsmith, first published in 1960.  The edition I read was published in 2016 with an introduction by Sarah Hilary.  The story is set in late 1950s USA where the main character, David, is still obsessively in love with a former girlfriend, Annabelle, who has married someone else.  He buys a home in the name of another man and decorates the house as if Annabelle will one day live there with him.  During the week, he lives in a boarding house and goes to his house in another town on weekends, telling people he is visiting his sick mother.  We meet other characters along the way, but the reader is drawn to David's mind as he becomes increasingly obsessed.  This is a great psychological crime story.  What will David do next?  I'd never read Patricia Highsmith before but when Jennifer Byrne's Book Club featured this and the whole panel loved it, I had to read it.  However, it wasn't easy to find.  Fortunately, I found it had been recently re-published.  I'll be looking for more of her books now.  Highly recommended. 5/5

No comments: