Friday, August 7, 2009

New books for September

Due to my disability this year, I've let my "fingers do the walking" on the computer keyboard and have ordered all my books on-line from Dymocks. Normally I go to at least three different places in search of the specials (provided those books have made my "long list") but this year I've got the books on my list that were the most reasonable price at Dymocks - and they'll be delivered to my door! I hope you will enjoy them.

Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo is a follow up to the excellent The Redbreast. Set in Oslo, Det Harry Hole investigates a serial killer and the five pointed star is the key to solving the riddle.

The Outcast by Sadie Jones is set in 1950s England. 19-year-old Lewis Aldridge is released after serving a two-year prison term. He returns home hoping for a new beginning.

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry tells the story of a 100-year-old mental patient who decides to tell about her life. Set in Ireland, she has memories of the early "struggles". Why is she really in a mental institution?

How to Paint a Dead Man by Sarah Hall is set in 1960s Italy as a dying painter looks back on his life.

The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti is set in 19th century America. A young boy is taken from the orphanage by someone claiming to be his brother. Desperate to be part of a family the boy goes with him.

The Twin by Gerbrand Bakker, a Dutch author. Set in the Dutch countryside Helmer reluctantly returns to the family farm following his brother's death.

Still Alice by Lisa Genova is about a 50 year old woman who realises she has Alzheimer's disease.

Follow the links to find out more about these books which have been praised by critics for their writing. Some links go to Amazon because they have a better review. Just reading over the little summaries I've done above, I'm struck that some of them sound a bit gloomy - so hope they'll be good!!

No comments: